Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Lost

Has it ever happened to you that you were very sure of something and yet you were so wrong. That day I started early from office to give few things to my friend, which he forgot at my home. I was sure that I'll be able to catch that one rare bus which goes directly to his home. Almost after waiting for an hour in the bus stop I called to my friend. He suggested to take another bus to a place from where I'll be able to catch the more frequent buses. So my immediate destination was to reach that place. But then it was already 8:30 pm. Took a bus and reached that place and started waiting for the bus. Legs were paining like hell with my stomach sounding like an empty bucket. I was already tired. I couldn't imagine my condition without that fruit salad that I had just before I left the office. After another 20 minutes I got that bus. Was not sure how much time it would take and was just standing like the "Leaning Tower of Pisa". Got the seat...hah great relief. Just then after 10 minutes reached the place.

Its not over still. From there I had to walk may be about 2 km. It was already dark. I was walking slowly and slowly with whatever little energy my Liver had. The route was slightly different with lots of new houses and complexes around. It was a perfect situation for me to get lost. And I was lost and reached a dead end. After inquiring one land mark I was able to come on the right track. So here I reach my friends home. With difficulty removed my shoes and got in. It was great relief after seeing that smile on his usual bright face. Felt that it was all worth that smile. Chatted for a while and filled my belly with all that he gave. Then gave him his forgotten things and asked him not to forget them again.

Started back to my home now. He gave me company till the bus stop. It was about 10 pm. Got the bus and reached my landing point. From here I had to walk about 4 km to reach my home. This route was the most familiar to me. I walked it 'N' number of times. On the way a railway crossing comes where lot of work is in progress for building a flyover. After crossing that station I have to take a left turn in to a lane near the temple. So I was walking down that lane peacefully looking at things around with dogs and etc.

After 10 min I find my self in some strange place. I couldn't believe and I didn't know where I was. I was almost scared. Can't even call my parents because I cannot tell them where I was. So...what to do now. It was about 10:40. I wondered how could I get here while walking on the path which I was so sure would take me to my home. Something was wrong. Nothing now, but I started walking by taking the busy lanes with lights around. After 5 min reached a known place and it was one bus stop away from my home. Seemed strange to me that how could I go off by one bus stop away from home. After another 20 min reached home. Had dinner and slept !

Even now I don't believe that I missed by way back home. How did it happen ? What went wrong ? Totally clueless. May be I should try once more taking that same path :-)

1 comment:

Suneel Madhekar said...

He he he he... I still believe you cannot my capability to get lost... My understanding of routes is as bad as my knowledge of topology :) I keep taking the wrong turns within the hostel itself... In an entirely different sense, do we really know where we are, currently? Do we really know where we are supposed to go? Are we all not just lost, looking for familiar landmarks, hoping to know where we want to go...

Good work, soldier. Keep marching, keep going, keep smiling.